Dipak Sarkar (class of 1967, PE) and Atul Kumar (class of 1967, PE) of ISMAANA met with Prof. Arvind Mishra, Dean of International relations and Prof. Somnath Chattopadhyaya of Mining Engg. on Feb 4, 2017 at ISM Dhanbad, to discuss merit cum means scholarships for needy students.
Currently ISM tuition amounts to around Rs 240,000 a year plus students incur another Rs 60000 a year for room, board and miscellaneous expenses. For family income up to 1 lakh a year, tuition fee for a student is waived. For those with family income between 1 lakh and 5 lakh Govt. of India picks up 2/3 of the tuition fee and the student pays 1/3. According to Dr. Mishra full and partial waiver covers 40% to 50% of students.
So, for a student receiving full waiver, $1000/year seems sufficient to cover room, board and miscellaneous expenses. IIT(ISM) alumni have committed 39 scholarships so far on merit cum means basis to start in 2017 for students with annual family income below Rs. 2 lakhs. These scholarships are in addition to 8 merit scholarships that are being given for the last three years to top two final year students in four earth science disciplines. Details of the new scholarships are as follows.
- Manjit K. Gulati Memorial (MGM) scholarship for an amount of $1000 per year for an undergraduate student in Petroleum Engineering.
- Pramod and Meera Thakur Trust (PMTT) scholarship for an amount of $750 per year for 2017 then increasing to $1000 per year from 2018 onwards, for an undergraduate student in Mining Engineering hailing from the State of Bihar.
- Srimati Sushila Devi Tuli Memorial (SDTM) scholarship for an amount of $1000 per year for an undergraduate student in Petroleum Engineering.
- Dipak and Chitra Sarkar scholarship for an amount of $1000 per year for an undergraduate student in any branch of Engineering.
- Zoeb and Shera Mogri scholarship for an amount of $1200 per year first for an undergraduate student in Applied Geology from the state of Gujarat or Maharashtra and if such candidate is not found then an undergraduate student in Applied Geophysics from the state of Gujarat or Maharashtra.
- Chugh Family Foundation scholarships for an amount of $1000 per year each to four undergraduate students, one each in first, second, third and fourth year, in any branch of Engineering. Preference will be given to female students who are residents of Punjab, Haryana or Delhi.
- Peggy and Avinash Ahuja scholarships for an amount of $1000 per year each to ten undergraduate students, 2 in first year, 2 in second year, 3 in third year and 3 in fourth year, in any branch of engineering.
- Naresh Vashisht Foundation scholarships to be awarded to a total of twenty undergraduate students, five students each in first year, second year, third year and fourth year, in a bachelor’s degree program or in an integrated bachelor/master’s degree program.
If you need more information about ISM scholarship program please contact Dipak Sarkar at email@example.com or 714 826-2810.